Bill Cosby won’t be charged in Los Angeles
Prosecutors in Los Angeles County have declined to charge Bill Cosby in two cases in which women claim he sexually assaulted them.
Prosecutors said on Wednesday that charges are barred by the statute of limitations in one case, and the second case lacked sufficient evidence, report the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times, which links to a prosecution evaluation of the cases.
One of the women claimed Cosby raped her in 1965 when she was 17 years old. Prosecutors said the alleged incident occurred too long ago to prosecute.
In the other case, a woman alleged Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her during a party at the Playboy Mansion in 2008 when she was 18 years old. The woman initially said the incident occurred at a “Midsummer Night’s Dream Party” on Aug. 9, 2008, but later told investigators she was only sure it occurred in the summer 2008.
Video outside the mansion during the time of the party did not show Cosby or the woman, and other evidence showed Cosby was in New York that weekend. Playboy Mansion guest lists did not contain Cosby’s name for any parties that summer, though his name was on a guest list for a February party.
The complainant had also said a friend accompanied her to the party, but when the investigators found a woman matching the complainant’s description, she said she didn’t know the complainant.
Prosecutors in a Philadelphia suburb charged Cosby with sexual assault last week in a different case. Cosby is accused of providing a Temple University employee with pills and wine that left her paralyzed and unable to give consent.