Suit says law student died due to faulty equipment for diabetics
A University of Chicago law student found dead in her Hyde Park apartment in 2013 died because she relied on faulty equipment for diabetics, a lawsuit by her estate says.
Filed in Cook County Circuit Court, the Illinois suit alleges that Abbie Harper died at age 23 due to erroneously low blood-sugar readings caused by defective diabetic test strips that were recalled not long afterward and an incompatibility issue with the insulin pump she used, says a Business Wire press release.
“Abbie trusted and relied upon her diabetic test strips and glucose monitor. They were her lifeline. We hope this lawsuit makes the diabetic community more aware of the products that we believe failed Abbie, products she trusted to keep her alive,” her parents say in a written statement posted on the website for Corboy & Demetrio, which is representing Harper’s estate in the case.
“These products were recalled at various intervals from four days to three months after her death. Unfortunately, it is too late to save Abbie’s life, but we hope it is not too late to protect other people from unrecognized erroneous blood sugar readings and even death.”
Chicago Maroon: “University mourns Abbie Harper, 23”